Akron Bicycle Club COVID-19 Group Ride Guidelines
As COVID-19 restrictions begin to be lifted across the country, ABC is looking forward to getting back to riding. ABC group rides will begin effective June 8, 2020; however, rider health and safety is still our primary objective. The following mitigation guidelines are aligned with USA Cycling recommendations and must be followed for ABC Group Rides, based on the current situation:
- All riders should check their temperature before arriving at a group ride. If you are not well, or don’t feel well, or have been exposed to COVID-19, do not show up!
- “Sign In” for group rides will be managed by the ride leader. All riders must report in to ride leader prior to ride and provide required information for the sign in sheet. Only the ride leader will handle the sign in sheet
- GPS is the preferred option for ride navigation. If GPS is not available, there will be a map link on the ABC Ride Calendar for riders to print out the ride map/cue sheet at home, prior to the ride. No cue sheets will be handed out at the ride.
- All riders should carry a mask and hand sanitizer with them in case a need arises to use during the ride, as both are easily transported
- Social distancing rules of 6 feet minimum should be followed for both pre and post-ride
- Riders should ride side-by-side or keep a minimum distance of 10 - 20 feet between riders. If any rider needs to sneeze, blow their nose, cough, etc. they should drop back so no one is in your slipstream
- All Group rides will start out in groups of 8 riders. If more than 8 riders show up, break into additional groups of 8 riders maximum. A ride leader is required in each group
- Starting in groups of 8 will allow for flexibility during a ride in case riders fall back or ride ahead. We must hold to a MAXIMUM of 10 Riders in any group at any time
- Multiple groups should maintain a 5-minute gap between group starts
- No food stops prior to, during or after group rides. All riders should carry water and nutrition needed for each ride so sharing is not needed
- Each rider should carry any needed tools, equipment and clothing so sharing is not needed
As with all ABC rides,
- Always arrive at least 10 minutes before start time to allow for adequate check in time
- All cyclists must wear bike helmets, obey all traffic laws, and no use of ear buds or cell phones while riding
- Use of rear-view mirror, headlight, tail light and reflectors is highly recommended
- ALL ABC Rides are for members only please join by clicking on Join ABC above.